Spiritual goals
I wanted to give this one a whole post instead of adding it to my blah-blah one.
A large portion of today I've been thinking about spiritual goals for the semester. I've always had a hard time with memorizing Scripture, but since going to Israel have been memorizing Psalm 139. It's taken me WAY too long, but I'm just about done. The last few verses take me a little longer to get, but I can usually get them. I'll have it down by the time I go back to school though.
While working on that I got to thinking about memorizing during the school year. Here's what I've come up with:
I'd like to memorize Romans 6. There are 23 verses and I think 16 weeks in the semester. If I work on two verses a week for the first 7 weeks and then one verse a week for the last 9 weeks, then I should have the whole chapter down by the end of the semester. I could write the whole chapter out on two sets of 16 notecards, one set to tape up on my walls and one set to carry around with me. If I spend 5 minutes in the morning and 5 in the evening working on them, I should be able to get it down!
What do you think? Sound do-able? Not too overwhelming? Anyone want to do it with me? Heather, Abigail? Happy's already working on Romans 6, but I don't know where he's gotten to. Hopefully this semester will work out well and I'll be able to pick another chapter for next semester. I'm going to need to be very disciplined this year! Definitely a good thing to be praying for :-) I'm so excited for this year!!!!!!!!

3 Comments:
hmm..i'll be thinking about memorizing..it'd be really cool to do, but this semester is going to be hecka hard. but i want to at least consider it. maybe we could memorize psalm 117 or something nice and short..haha..just joking. great accomplishment with psalm 139 your finishing up.
hahaha... Yeah, Psalm 117 wasn't exactly what I had in mind. Not that Psalm 117 is bad to memorize....... Well, anyways.... The reason I'm doing it the way I am is so that it doesn't seem too overwhelming. I figured 5 minues in the morning and 5 at night working on two verses each week would be doable. Plus, you've probably heard Romans 6 so many times that it's at least somewhat familiar to you. C'mon! Give it a chance!! My semester is crazy too!!! We can challenge each other with it!! Stop considering and just start reading over it in preparation for school. ;-)
Good job on Ps. 139! That was my Beth's favorite Psalm in childhood and High School. (Not sure what her current favorite is, though I believe she still likes 139.)
It's a good idea to memorize a passage. It stays with you longer. I still can remember the passages I've learned (Psalm 1, Isaiah 53, etc.) with just a little refresher. And it gives you the context, which is especially good. But the inidividual verses I've learned over the years haven't stayed (other than the most common ones, of course).
Post a Comment
<< Home