Thursday, February 23, 2006

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)

I'm in the library and about to start researching ADHD for a group presentation next week. I've done a bunch of reading on the topic already, but I need to consolidate the MASSIVE amount of information I've sifted through.

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is one that I still can't figure out. Some medical doctors say it exists while others say it's a fraud, yet the symptoms are so broad that I wonder who wouldn't be diagnosed with the disease. Check out some of the criteria. Does anyone have any interaction with this that they might want to chime in an opinion?

On a related note, I found this article that definitely made me wonder about psychotropic drugs. Do those doctors even know what half the drugs they are prescribing do? It just makes me wonder...

Well, off I go to do my research. By the way, it's pretty cool being engaged. I highly recommend it, although not for too long :-) Good night and God bless!

2 Comments:

At February 24, 2006 4:26 PM, Blogger Jen said...

ADHD...well, I joked one time with my dr. about Betsy having adhd...he laughed at me. He said sooo many people just want their kids to be treated for their behavior instead of discipling them for their behavior. WAY over "diagnosed" I did not read the articles that you have on here, I will take the time and do that but, BETSY is 11 today, so...I need to celebrate with her!! Just wanted to post MY opinion for what it is worth!!

Side note...Claire is getting glasses! How cute? 8) won't that be cute? she apparently has very bad eye sight!

Engagment is a great thing! ENOY every moment of it, and I am so glad that you won't have a long one!! I am tring to make plans to come out!! :) yeah!!!!

OK...off to the playroom for a movie!

 
At February 28, 2006 11:57 AM, Blogger BethsMomToo said...

I have known particular kids, not having any behavior problems, who really did need help. But I also suspect that doctors and teachers can be too quick to diagnose in other cases. Beth had a problem learning in elementary school. She wasn't a behavior problem, but she just couldn't concentrate and pay attention. She really worked hard to overcome it (so did I!!) and we are thankful she outgrew it by the time she was in Jr.Hi. Because she went to a small private school she never was coded and I am thankful for this in her case. If she had gotten coded and been placed into special classes, she never would have been able to attain the education she has! Now in her case, it was a good thing. But there are kids who need help and can't "work it out". I think the current trend of overdiagnosing trivializes the problem for the few who really do need the help!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home