Sunday, January 22, 2006

Perseverance

These last few days I've realized something that I think every student who has attended The Master's College must come to grips with--this school is amazing and I have not taken advantage of it like I should have! Yes, I've been busy working and attending the Truth and Life Conference and catching up with friends I haven't seen for a month; but I only have one semester left. Then I'm done. WHOA!

So here's something that I've been thinking about since the start of last semester and it has only grown as I ponder. In many of my classes I've heard stories of students who went to The Master's College for four years and then graduated only to turn their backs on the Lord. They professed a faith that turned out to be false and some even speak negatively about this college and the views taught here. I've heard of people who, while they did not deny Christ, continue living their lives like the rest of the world, seeking to gain material wealth and a pseudo "happiness" that a Christian does not need. I've heard of people who have been married and divorced because they took their eyes off the Lord and sought to fulfill the lusts of their flesh. It all brings tears to my eyes.

That said, I've been struck by the fact that it is so easy to let your relationship with the Lord become less than passionate. Many of the stories I've heard have terrified me. I've wondered if I will fall away when I leave The Master's College. Have I been detrimentally protected in this bubble that allows me to live a certain way because everyone else does too? Will I fold under the pressures of life or succumb to attacks from the world? Will I be "ready to make a defense to everyone who asks me to give an account for the hope that is in me" (1 Pet. 3:15)?

All of my questions have led me to one place which I've found entirely sufficient. In fact, I trust that this source will be sufficient for the rest of my life (and yours). God's Word says that no one will snatch God's children from His hand (John 10:28-29) and it is by grace that we are saved, not by works (Eph. 2:8-9). I say this because in the midst of my questions and hoping that I don't fall away I know that I won't. Of course I will go through difficult times and some may be harder than others, but my faith does not rest in me. It sounds a little funny saying it like that, but I praise the Lord that it is by His power that He saves me and keeps me close to Him. Our Lord is so infinitely wise and wonderful!

Before I end this post I have one last thought. Everything above (along with lots more) has been resonating in my head for about five months, but something new came up lately. Yes, I'm saved and God will preserve me for His glory; but I don't want my light to flicker. Like I said, it seems easy to let your relationship with the Lord become less than passionate. I don't want to be a Christian traipsing through life as if I've got lead weights tied around my ankles. I want my pursuit of the Lord to be something that I look forward to every day, not something to check off of my "To-Do" list. I say all this so you can know how to pray for me, and maybe to challenge you as well. What one word would you use to describe your relationship with the Lord? I hope it isn't "stagnant."

1 Comments:

At January 22, 2006 4:35 PM, Blogger Happy said...

Good job. I am thankful to God that the person I love the most has the same desires I do. Continue to pursue the Lord. He truly will "direct your paths."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home