Thursday, November 17, 2005

Prayer

This week has seemed very strange. I think it has to do with the fact that I don't have as much to do, but that's not all. Ok, I've got some thoughts in my head that I hope come out right, but let me know if something doesn't make sense.

The Lord has been teaching me a lot about prayer. Since I became a Christian, prayer has been this sort of "duty" or command from the Lord that I didn't quite understand. I thought, "If the Lord is sovereign, what will my prayers do to change anything?" Yet the Lord says in James that the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. Lately, I've seen that more than ever, but that is not the end of my thoughts on prayer...

Over the summer I did some cleaning and organizing of all my junk that's been in boxes around my mom's garage and basement. I found some old journals, many of them prayer journals, and one from the year before I was saved. This too was a prayer journal and in reading many of my prayers I realized that it is completely possible to sound good in a prayer, but have it fall down dead due to an unregenerate heart. In John 9:31 it says "We know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is God-fearing and does His will, He hears him." (I realize that some who read this may have a lot to say about that verse, and I welcome comments). My understanding of that verse is that "sinners" is referring to those who are slaves to sin (I'm referring to Romans 6 that explains where believers in Jesus are no longer slaves to sin). I am not saying that Christians no longer sin, but there should be a process over time in which the Christian sins less as he becomes more and more like Christ. Ok, this is a huge topic that I will try not to rabbit trail into.

Back to prayer, the Lord has been teaching me a lot about it. In small groups last night Becca gave us a post from another blog that really made me think about my own prayer life. Although I've been known to keep prayer journals, I've always had a hard time just praying in my head. I get distracted or fall asleep if I'm tired. The post from Gunner's blog on Thursday, Nov. 10th was the handout from Becca and then she gave us a list of the names of the girls on our wing with instructions to pray for each one, but by yourself. So, I did and it was hard to get my focus at first. But after a few minutes, I was just talking to my Lord. I almost felt like all the prayers I'd ever prayed were not real. I know that is quite the exaggeration, but it inspired me! What a gracious Lord to allow us to just talk to Him like that!

It seems to me that the Lord has been doing a mighty work in me with a focus on the area of prayer in my own life. I really can't be a Christian without His help! Ok, that sounds dumb or weird, but I think in practice I'd been trying to do just that. On the day of prayer last week I went to one of the sessions in which Dr. Horner gave a 10-15 minute devotional. It was profoundly challenging as well, but I won't get in to ALL of that. One specific thing he said that has glued itself to the back of my mind is this: "Prayer is the ultimate recognition of the sovereignty of God." Do I need to explain how that hit me so hard? All this time that I'd been trying to get along without the Lord, I was seeking to be in control myself. When I come to Him in prayer, I'm doing nothing from a human standpoint. Yet from a spiritual standpoint and from God's standpoint, I'm telling Him that I know He is in control and I am not.

Well, I need to get to homework, but I commend you for reading all this. I didn't realize I had so much to share about prayer! The Lord is GOOD! Have a lovely evening, God bless!

3 Comments:

At November 19, 2005 10:12 AM, Blogger BethsMomToo said...

I have found Don Whitney's idea for praying to be invaluable. He suggests "praying through" the Psalms. He slowly reads through the Psalms, one per day. As he reads that day's Psalm he stops and prays as things come upon his heart. Then he reads some more till he is once again prompted to prayer. My prayer life was never so affected once I tried this! It makes you praise God, bow before Him and pray from the heart. I find it soooo much better than "working my way" down a list and struggling to pay attention. I never have an attention problem praying this way and my prayer is so much deeper and longer. I love it!

Interesting quote I just read this AM from a book about C.S. Lewis:
"The proper role of every creature is surrender to his Creator. Self-surrender to God is, in our present state, quite a feat. So long as things seem to be going well, the human spirit usually won't even try to surrender self-will...Lewis claimed that the fullest surrender to God...must be done against a person's inclination. The highest truth that pain can tell a person is that he or she is submitting to God's will although it is contrary to his nature."

 
At November 21, 2005 9:46 AM, Blogger Jeremy Turner said...

Good thoughts here. We had Don Whitney at our church about a month ago. I agree with Beth - invaluable! I can tell that you're quite a thinker. You remind me of the folks I've met in Sovereign Grace Ministries. Anyway, I hope this encourages you.

Jeremy

 
At December 04, 2005 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where have you been Amy? We miss reading your thoughts, even if it's just a paragraph or so!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home