Monday, September 05, 2005

Homer

Not Simpson... the author of the Iliad. I'm reading books I, IX, XXII, and XXIV for World Literature tomorrow. To my surprise, I am actually enjoying them! I thought I'd take a break though because my eyes were getting a tad droopy :-) Earlier tonight I had marked off the sections I needed to read for tomorrow, then looked at the other things I needed to do tonight. It definitely challenged me to trust in the Lord and not succumb to the overwhelmed feelings that were creeping into my gut (yes, that's where they creep for me). Thankfully, I was able to finish one part of my Problems & Procedures homework and cross that off my list. Who else really likes making lists just to cross things off? Sometimes I write lists of things I've already done just so I can cross them off. It makes me feel like I haven't wasted time. I realize for some of you that sounds ridiculous, however I will continue to do it I'm sure.

This weekend was a long weekend and I'm very glad it was. I got to go to the beach, as you know, which I wouldn't have done if I didn't have today to do homework. I also did THREE loads of laundry. I didn't realize I had so much stuff! Then again, my drawers were basically empty. I guess that's how it should be before you do three loads of laundry.

Ok, this was a lovely break, but I need to get back to reading before I get tired and want to go to sleep. I've been listening to this really great Celtic music and other instrumental stuff to keep me focused. It's pretty great. I like Celtic music, even more so after spending a couple weeks in Northern Ireland last year. Right, homework time. Thanks for all your comments guys! God bless!

9 Comments:

At September 07, 2005 4:48 PM, Blogger BethsMomToo said...

Homer! You're reading Homer! And you're only reading a few chapters of The Iliad? Are you reading the Fagles translation? I loved that translation! Someday...when you are post-school like me (I was going to say "old", but you don't have to wait that long) you'll have to read the entire book. I got Pastor Rick to read it even though he did it slowly. He once asked me, "Do they ever get beyond the fighting?" No, not in that one. But it's great how many ways you can describe legs getting hacked off, eyeballs gouged out and ears lopped offed. How many ways can you die in battle? Now there's an interesting study - how many descriptions of mayhem did Homer give? Seriously, you have to understand the Bronze Age Greek mind to really appreciate it. Their concept of a hero, is not our modern concept. To be spoken well of and have your name continue after you was eternal life for them. Get it?

I have discovered you have to read the ancient classics in order, because they are referred to so often in later writings that you totally miss the allusions if you haven't read the earlier works. So for your "Lifetime Reading List", ahem, ahem... read these in the following order: Iliad, Odyssey, Ovid's Metamorphosis (every mythologically themed painting is based on it!! If you want to understand art know the myths in Ovid!), The Aeneid and Dante's Inferno. After you finish with those, get back to me! ;)

 
At September 07, 2005 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you reading the Iliad in poetic format? If so, by whom? I have the robert fitgerald version, which is good cuz i read the fitzgerald translation of the Odyssey. Good times. Gotta love that ancient crud. YOu know, seeing how is my best friend and cousin, you think i would comment more on andrew's blog...
~mike

 
At September 08, 2005 8:33 AM, Blogger Happy said...

You'd think so, wouldn't you Mike? Hmm. . . interesting

 
At September 08, 2005 11:54 AM, Blogger BethsMomToo said...

"ancient crud"? Homer is "ancient crud"? The tears are falling...
[If you think you liked Fitzgerald's translation, just take a look at Fagles'.]

 
At September 08, 2005 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Ancient Crud is a term of respect in my family. Casual insults is my way of showing respect. I refer to my father as "the old man", our dog as "fatboy" and tell him he has a "ballon head", etc. Ask around! A bigger fan of the classics you will never find. Fagles huh? hm, well, i might try him. The reason i like fitgerald is because he did the odyssey, the iliad and the aeneid; although maybe Fagles did too...
I find it odd that i am carrying on a conversation with a person i have never met on my cousins' girlfriends blog comment section. Odd.
Hi amy!
and andrew, i totally sent some comments your way.
ok, peace out people
~Mike

 
At September 08, 2005 10:02 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Hahaha... this is great! I'm so glad you guys are all getting along!

Mrs. Costine, maybe some day I will be able to read more... like when I'm not in school. I am enjoying reading the sections we are in my literature class. A lot of what you mentioned we'll be reading as the semester progresses. It should be good.

Mike, it's always interesting to read your comments. Thanks for commenting so much on my blog. Although, I am glad you decided to give Happy a little break in the comment area. I think he just needs to tell people about his blog. What do you think?

 
At September 09, 2005 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, i am thinking that Andrew needs to rent out a billboard and just put his blog up there. I think the reason he doesnt get much comments are: 1) he sees you every day (i assume) so you commenting on it seems a little weird, b) the rest of his readers are fairly incompetent at computers (namely my mom, grandma and aunt tracy) and c) are his immediate family who he also sees, and me, who should be giving him more kudos.
~mike

 
At September 10, 2005 5:16 PM, Blogger BethsMomToo said...

I am so relieved about the "ancient crud" thing! Fagles also translated The Odyssey, The Oresteia by Aeschylus (he's tough to read, The Three Theban Plays by Sophocles (Gotta read these...great, lots of great ideas for discussion) and Antigone by Sophocles. (I have a thing for Sophocles.) But, alas, he has not done The Aeneid. However, if you get through the rest (especially Aeschylus) you will have accomplished something and be ready for the Romans!

Btw, I'm semi-harmless. Just ask Amy. ;) And I'm on the other coast - oh - Amy, I'm coming out to visit Tim & Leah on 9/29 through 10/4! Tim's b'day is 10/3. See if you can get some nice weather ordered up, ok?

 
At September 10, 2005 11:44 PM, Blogger Amy said...

YAY! Mrs. Costine, you'd better come out and visit me too! You have to meet Happy :-) He's lots of fun. Oh, and as for the weather, it's been chilly the last two days. I LOVE it and you'll probably think it's beautiful. It's definitely getting closer to sweater weather though!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home