Friday, May 19, 2006

Temp Job

I got the temp job! I start on Monday at 8:30 am and need to dress "professionally." Thankfully, the woman at Appleone explained to me what that meant. They wear suits--even the women! She said I have to wear closed-toed shoes and if I wear a skirt I have to wear nylons. I don't even own a pair of nylons... I guess I'll be wearing pants :-)

So this weekend I guess I need to get suits. When they say "professional" does that mean I can just wear a collared, button-up shirt and nice pants? Oi, I hope so. I sound more concerned about dress code than the actual job, but I think that has to do with the fact that I'll be interviewing people over the phone most of the time and doing a little paperwork and bringing applicants to their place of interview. The lady asked me how confident I felt about the phone. Interestingly enough, phone calls are an area that I really want to improve on. What a great opportunity! Hopefully I learn quickly!

Here's my question: With each new "step" of life, will I feel like I'm getting older? Because right now I feel really old because I'm starting a very professional job. What if this is what the Lord has for me (or something like this) in Huntington Beach? Will I feel even older then? I'm not even 23 years old yet!!!!! Ok, this is not a big deal. I guess I thought that graduating from college would make me feel more like an adult. It didn't.

On to lighter things, Heather stayed over last night and we had a super girl night watching a movie and just hanging out. We had some great conversations about the Lord's provision and learning how to trust Him in all the uncertainties we face after graduation. It was an encouragement to me to know she's thinking similar things, and even more so that the God who has been providing so abundantly for me is doing the same for her! What a blessing! We decided we'll have to do that at least once every other (or every) week. Ok, back to work. I'm getting my wedding dress fitted today!!!! :-D

3 Comments:

At May 19, 2006 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amy -

Appleone is the temp agency I went through to get my job. Congratulations! In my experience you start out in suits and then after a couple of weeks you move to corporate casual which is stuff like slacks, heels, button-up shirts. Will you be working at Appleone or at the travel agency?

You don't need to buy a new suit - the Goodwill is a suit treasure trove!

Love, Raphaelle

 
At May 20, 2006 5:00 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Amy congratulations on your new job! You will be great at it, and I am sure you will figure the dress code thing out and look great too! Have fun shopping for the new professional look! really you don't own any nylons! wow...
That means no flip flops too, but I guess you figured that one out with the closed toe thing huh? I would only work at places that would let me wear sandles! but...getting hair in shoes isn't always that fun ;)
Have fun getting your dress fitted! I can't wait to see it...plans are moving ahead! and I can't wait!! see you soon...

 
At May 21, 2006 12:18 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

Congrats on the job!!!
Cliff

 

Post a Comment

<< Home